Saturday, October 12, 2013

English Ghazal: What is the colour of grief?


This poem is written as an English Ghazal and follows the rhyme scheme, refrain and theme closely to a ghazal. Each stanza is an independent 'Sher'.

What is the colour of grief?

Far away to touch, further still, a relief,
If you stay away, then what is the colour of grief?
                                                                                                                     
Grey beckons me to her father’s abode, and you unseen,
Why shouldn’t I turn away, to the colour of grief?

People question me about my life, Patience,
I say, but what then will I say, to the colour of grief?

Marching men call me to fight, but for what?
I shall say nay, but what do I do to the colour of grief?

The last drops of gloom blind my eye, with a flick,
I swipe it away, but what if they fall on the colour of grief?

How long shall I fight, your voice, a mere sigh
could move me away, from the colour of grief.

The last of the clouds have stopped by
 James, they say, can she love you like the colour of grief?


Author: Jims Varkey